Morbo

MotoGP - Austin 2019 (4/12-4/14)

I think we're looking to make it similar to last year: traveling down on Thursday, 4/11. Starting the drive back Sunday after the race. Of course, logistics are subject to change...

Borrowing from the basic itinerary we've been using the past few years:

Thurs., 4/11 - leave early to get down to Austin that night - 14-hour'ish drive. Assuming we stay in the same place, the hotel is in Buda, TX, just south of Austin (but closer to the track).

Fri., 4/12 - No idea how early we'll get to the track on Friday. It's free practice sessions all day. Off the track, the plan is to hit up the vendor tents, do the demo rides, etc., etc. I think basic requirements for demo rides were helmet and shoes so pack accordingly.

Sat., 4/13 - Get to the track relatively early, if there's no newbs going then we may not need to get there that early since the veterans will know the track layout and where they like to watch.

Sun., 4/14 - Definitely get to the track early to make sure you can get where you want to be. Watch the races then head home, stopping for the night at a hotel at some point.

Mon., 4/15 - Finish the drive home (although, last year Evan and Dave drove through the night)

We've been staying at the Comfort Suites in Buda (https://www.choicehotels.com/texas/buda/comfort-suites-hotels/txc51). The place is decent enough and if you're lucky, you'll get to stalk some Moto3/Moto2 riders.

Transportation: There was an unfortunate turn of events last year and transportation plans went sideways but the usual plan is to drive down, whether we procure a van to hold everyone or need to caravan. Last year I was able to fly, this year will most likely be driving/riding. 

Please post up if you're in... I'll try to keep this main post updated with a roster. 

Roster:

• Me...
  • jjester
  • Irresponsible_robot
  • Speed
  • Upvote 1

I'm ordering my tickets and getting everything lined up today.

Tickets purchased, mini van reserved, and the room is booked.

I had to get book a room at the Best Western the Choice hotel only has single beds at this point.

• Like 1

In

• Like 2

Have a great trip guys and travel safely! I really thought about going this year, but life keeps getting in the way. Maybe next year.

• Like 1

Looks like I forgot to post here: In!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, GSXR55 said:

Looks like I forgot to post here: In!

I'm jealous! Have a fun and safe trip everyone. Like Barry said maybe next year.

• Like 1

We might need to rent a party bus next year. :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

So how was the trip? No one posted anything about it? 

30 minutes ago, natnaz said:

So how was the trip? No one posted anything about it? 

It's on FB but I will try to post some stuff here. We had an awesome time and enjoyed the non-Marquez win (well at least most of us :) )

We ended up taking the camper which worked out well with gear and the number of people going. 

We tested several motorcycles and I am seriously thinking about going to a XSR 900 from the ZX10r. I will likely post that for sale soon.

We had severe weather on Saturday and had to evacuate and Sunday started out cold but improved by race time.

Very good weekend. You should come with us next time.

• Like 2

I test rode the RNineT, the SV650 and the XSR900. XSR900 ticks the boxes. The RNineT was weird, buzzy with torque steer (it was the best looking but quickly fell to the bottom choice).

BUT that's if I do buy anything at all.

IMG_20190412_093719978_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190412_103422576_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190412_155431516_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190414_090733574.jpg

IMG_20190415_123359646.jpg

• Like 4

I, naturally, liked the GSXR1000R the best, over the S1000R & MT10.  Didn't  like the CBR at all.  The Yamaha Eluder is a big joke.  

• Upvote 1

I would have liked to make this trip but ended up in New York instead. so I would love to go to Austin with you guys next year. Do you own the camper or was it a rental? 

yamaha xSR900 has my FJ09 engine and it’s a lively one. I still like my ZX10 though. Thanks for posting the pics and videos. 🤘😀

3 hours ago, natnaz said:

I would have liked to make this trip but ended up in New York instead. so I would love to go to Austin with you guys next year. Do you own the camper or was it a rental? 

yamaha xSR900 has my FJ09 engine and it’s a lively one. I still like my ZX10 though. Thanks for posting the pics and videos. 🤘😀

Hopefully you can make it next year.

I own this camper. It replaced the one we bought last year with all the problems. So far this one has been good.

The reviews say it is basically a MT09 (I guess they changed the name) that is just better looking.

I can't keep three bikes (or may be I can :) ) because I am not planning on riding as much so something has to go. The FJR can't go because it's for sport touring and we're planning on doing some riding this year with that.

I just wanted a bike that goes back to basics for me, and comfortable. It was fun on the little test ride and I think I can still ride it at a decent pace but not like the ZX10.

• Like 2